Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Hello!

My name is Mannat Rana, and I am a senior at BASIS Peoria. After being a captain of the robotics club for so long, I have wanted to challenge myself in a more realistic region of engineering. Lately, drones have been getting much attention; they are used in the army for surveillance, used domestically to take pictures and videos of memorable events, and are even being used by Amazon to deliver light packages. Thus, I wanted to make these processes more efficient, and I felt the best way to do that was to optimize the drone's vertical acceleration so they can get to the desired height as quickly as possible.

My project will involve modifying an off-the-shelf quadcopter to be as fast as possible. I will change properties of the quadcopter and see how it affects its flight pattern. These modifications include hulls, rotor blade length, the length of arms, and possible more variables if time permits. Once I have collected my data, I will try to mathematically explain why the observed trend occurred. Hopefully, this project will combine the many years of learning math and building robots into a realistic engineering problem.


1 comment: